Trash & Debris Removal Operations
The Bayou Vermilion District along with the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality with help from
LDEQ Grant Title: A Comprehensive Strategy for Implementing Best Management Practices to Improve the Quantity and Quality of Stormwater Entering the Vermilion River
The Vermilion River and its tributaries make up the
The Lafayette Parish Bayou Vermilion District aims to inform residents and business property owners along the river about the problems that runoff from erosion of their stream banks and yards creates, while at the same time demonstrating ways they can effectively reduce the volume quantity and improve the quality of the water making its way into the Bayou Vermilion.
The specific goal of this project is to develop demonstration sites for erosion control and runoff from residences along the Vermilion River, as a way to filter the water that runs directly into the river.
The techniques to be implemented have four primary goals:
1. To reduce runoff volume through infiltration, retention, and evaporation;
2. To improve runoff quality through the creation of infiltration sites on
3. To find beneficial uses for water rather than exporting it as a waste product down storm sewers.
4. To raise public awareness about BMPs
There are 5 elements to this project:
1. Wetland plant propagation nursery – this nursery will be used to grow native grasses, sedges, shrubs, vines, and trees. These will be given out at no cost to individuals and groups for restoration purposes.
2. Demonstration rain garden – Rain gardens are a beautiful way to hold
3. Demonstration pervious pavement – Parking lots and other paved areas prevent
For more information about
4. Rain barrels – through this grant, the BVD has hosted several rain barrel workshops. At these workshops, participants learned how to construct and maintain their own rain barrel. All materials were provided, free, by the BVD, and participants left with their own rain barrel that afternoon. Email email@example.com or call (337) 769-7283 for a
5. Demonstration retention pond – A retention pond is a pond or small lake that is designed to receive runoff water from surrounding areas and hold it indefinitely until the water either soaks into the ground or evaporates into the atmosphere. This detention of water and the pollutants it carries with